As a child, I would hop into bed at the end of the day and talk with God about what was going on and what I was thankful for. I wonder, why did I wait until the end of the day?
Everyday activities like washing our hands, turning on a light, eating, and getting dressed can be activities that remind us of God’s presence and loving care for us and all people. Everyday activities can nudge us to pray.
When we walk, we pray:
- remembering God’s call to walk in the way of love (Ephesians 5:2);
- expressing gratitude to God for walking beside us (“Do not fear, for I am with you”—Isaiah 41:10);
- thanking God for people whose jobs require that they do lots of walking.
While washing our hands, we pray:
- confessing the words and actions we have done (and left undone), accepting God’s promise of forgiveness and starting clean again (“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me”—Psalm 51:10);
- remembering people around the world who do not have access to clean water;
- celebrating God’s creation and all the creatures that live in the water.
As we get dressed, we pray:
- remembering to clothe ourselves with some of the qualities listed in Colossians 3:12—compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience;
- for opportunities to share the possessions we own so that others will have what they need;
- thanking God for the colors that surround us and clothe creation.
When we sit down to eat, we pray:
- a prayer of thanks for the food we eat;
- to remember those who are hungry;
- a blessing on the people who grow and harvest our food;
- for organizations that collect and distribute food to those in need.
When we turn on a light, we pray:
- celebrating the gift of light that wakes us in the morning and gives life to growing plants;
- for opportunities to let the light of Christ shine through us so we can encourage and share hope with those around us.
May our regular everyday activities nudge us to pray. And may those prayers remind us of God’s loving care and listening ear available to God’s children and all creation.